Monday, December 23, 2013

~Circle Lenses~




I would say at least one in 5 “trendy” girls and even guys too (BTW I completely made up this statistic) in Asia where circle lenses on a regular basis.


In Korea the circle lens selection is vast, but like many other things here, not very diverse. There are tons of specialized lens shops that carry a big selection of lenses.  Usually you can go in, pick out a few pairs, ask questions to the expert workers and even test out a few pairs.  Different shades of browns are most commonly found in Seoul, as the ulzzang Korean beauty is all about looking “natural and subtle”.


http://prettyfaisu.tumblr.com/


~Ulzzang girl with dark hair, dark eyes, aegyo-sal make style, pale skin~



Japanese girls have a tendacy to go for a more gaudy over the top look.  The epitome of the gyaru (ギャル) trend is  to wear bright over the top lenses; blue, green, purple, pink.. The more unnatural for a Japanese face, the better!


weheartit.com
~Famous AV Gyaru Cocoana/Selina.  She is known for her bleached hair, tanned skin, and big blue lenses~


For a western eye, lets be honest, circle lenses are really a hit or miss.  

Because the shape of western eyes are already more round and open, having double eyelids and exposing the tear gland, enlarging, bright lenses just might make a western girl look like an alien, that she is possessed by a demon, or worst of all, that is she is just  a bit too much of an otaku trying to hard trying to hard, ;) ㅋㅋㅋ.

However, if worn properly, with the correct lens diameter, color, shape, design and corresponding makeup style, circle lenses on western eyes have the potential to be beautifully striking.


I dabbled into cosmetic circle lenses about 3 years ago when I first went to Japan and fell in love with the cute gyaru look. Looking back at photos, I’m shaking my head in embarrassment by how horrible my makeup style was.  I literally tried to exactly copy the makeup style I saw. Fail.  I wore really dark nearly black colored lenses and put on huge false lashes that did not suit my eye type. 

A look at the Mari-circle lens timeline 

Janurary 2012. Lens Newbie. Black hair with HUGE pink circle lenses. scary.  Embarrassing.

February 2012. Red Hair with purple lenses, long lashes.  I don't think I did a bad makeup job,per se, however looking back this is a bit "anime" for me. OTAKU!
May 2012. Super dark hair and brows, navy lenses, large size, thick black liner on top and bottom, huge falsies. TOO MUCH.
May 2012. University Graduation. Super faked tan, big dark lenses.  Trying to be gyaru too hard.
October 2012.  After examining photos from earlier that year, I decided t0 go for a more natural look.  Natural hair color, nude lips and smoky eye with a simple grey lens.  This lens is a winner for sure! Subtle but sexy.  However, I look so boring here!  Nothing special!


Novemer 2013.  A year later and I am happy with this current style.  Blonde hair with light colored makeup and light lenses.  Lighter colors are so much less harsh on me.  This includes lighter eyebrows. I'm naturally brunette but I have decided I'm blonde at heart. 



On a recent trip to Thailand I went on a major lens haul! I must say Thai girls do makeup with lenses really well. I’d call it someone in between the Korean and Japanese style.  They go for an overall more natural look but tend to be more daring with the lens colors like blue or greys.  Thai girls naturally have darker skin and bigger eyes, which look really well with blue and green lenses.

http://instagram.com/nookzii
~Thai model Nookzii~

In Bangkok, a lot of the street markets and malls had an amazing selection of lenses for mad cheap!  About equal to $6-$7 USD for a pair that lasts 1 year (with proper cleaning and storage).




Recently the circle lens trend is picking up with Los Angelus  trendsetter fashionistas such as models and desginers Luna Lovebad, Natashia Lillipore and even Hannabeth Merjos.  They have all posted Instagram photos sporting some lenses.

There are an infinite number of online icrcle lens stores but I recommend Eyecandy Lenses or Pinkyparadise  Both sites have a big selection ad ship worldwide.  Usually on these sites, they run about $20-$35 USD per pair.
http://instagram.com/lunalovebad
http://instagram.com/LILLIPORE
instagram.com/barbiebeth



How do you feel about circle lenses?  Have you worn them?


I’m not an expert but if you have any questions about lenses, I can probably answer pretty accurately based on much experience!!!


2 comments:

  1. Another type is called light filtering tint and it is used to enhance only some of the Lacelle Contacts such blue and green.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice! I will check those out! Thanks for the info

      Delete